Life is more fun when you RAWR!


Friday, August 12, 2011

I'm a runner


At least, that's what the coach's voice at the end of today's 20-minute run told me.  I know 20 minutes isn't super long but I ran the whole time without stopping to walk.  I've known for a couple of weeks now that this run was coming.  The longest I'd run to this point was 8 minutes, then walk 3 then run another 8.  I was nervous about this morning, almost as if I was in a race.  I wanted to do it.  I wanted that accomplishment.  I didn't want to let myself down.

It was harder mentally than physically, though make no mistake I was breathing very hard at the end there.  With 8 minutes left I was ready to give up.  But I'd already run 12 minutes so there was no way I was going to let myself stop.  I ended up speeding up.  I changed my speed a little every minute.  Sometimes I'd go at 5.0 mph, sometimes 4.7 sometimes 4.3,  I just wasn't going to give up.

I didn't give up.

At the end of the run the app coach came on and said something to the effect of "you just ran for 20 straight minutes.  You are a runner now." I wanted to cheer out loud and would have except, you know, the breathing.

Tonight I'm a little sore but I'm very happy to have dug deep and found the strength to hang on until the finish.

1 comment:

  1. I will cheer out loud! HURRAY! That is so freaking awesome! I'm very very impressed and proud and motivated to work harder because you are da bomb-biggity!

    ReplyDelete