Life is more fun when you RAWR!


Monday, March 28, 2011

Menu Plan Monday


This will be another strange Menu Plan Monday entry as I'm off for an amazing girls' weekend Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  I'm meeting my mom and sister in Atlanta and we're doing a "Top Chef tour" of the city.  We will be eating at Richard Blais' restaurant FLIP Burger Boutique on Friday afternoon and doing a 7 course tasting menu at Kevin Gilespe's restaurant "The Woodfire Grill" on Saturday night.  To say that I'm geeked out over this trip is the understatement of the year.  The plan at Flip is to order two burgers for the three of us to share and then order ALL of the sides.  My mom and sister are not interested in tasting the sweetbreads that are often on FLIP's menu but I figure I may never be back in his restaurant again - I'm tasting EVERYTHING... even a cow's thymus gland.  They're supposedly really delicious. 

So with that said we have an abbreviated menu for the week since dad and the boys will have to fend for themselves for the weekend.  I'm guessing there will be a lot of turkey sandwiches, mac and cheese and pasta with butter and garlic on their menu.

Monday: Sausage, brown rice, roasted asparagus, salad
Tuesday: Spaghetti and meatballs, salad, garlic bread
Wednesday: chicken tacos
Thursday: the boys will eat kid food and Drew & I will have shrimp and calamari while we watch the Top Chef finale.

And as I'm reading my list I realize that I do not need to go to the grocery store!  I went to Trader Joes today and we're all stocked up on yogurt, crackers, veggies, hummus and seltzer.  hooray!!  I'm sure I'll hit the store on Thursday so that the boys weekend will not include a stressful trip to the local Food Lion... but having one less errand to run tomorrow is a nice nice feeling.

I'm still looking for non-pasta vegetarian ideas.  Perogies maybe??

5 comments:

  1. I hope you have an AWESOME time on your trip. It sounds so great! Tell your mom and K I said hello!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to hear about your trip! What a great idea!! Shane and I want to visit some of the "Diners, Drive-In's & Dives" restaurants. Have a great time & thanks for the meal ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about lentils? Or quinoa? Bean and pepper enchiladas are one of our favorite non-pasta vegetarian meals. Check out www.biggirlssmallkitchen.com They have a bunch of great vegetarian ideas that are really tasty! P.S. I found your blog through Megan :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vegetarian ideas - how about a broccoli and tofu quiche (my kids actually love it). Quesadillas with grilled veggies or refried beans? Stir fry with black beans instead of chicken or beef?

    ReplyDelete